Tuesday 30 December 2014

The start of my 100 Job Challenge to raise money for charity...here it goes!

I guess I should start by introducing myself...my name's Bobbie - nice to meet you all!

I'm going to be honest I have never done anything like this before, but wanted to give it a try - so here it goes...

Let me give you an insight into how this challenge came about:
The past year has been both the best and worst year of my life!...how can that be?! Well, I got taken ill with a very strange disorder, that even if you google it you won't find very much except a few newspapers reporting on me!...hiii :)

That's one of the great and not so great things about this illness, it has pushed me out of my comfort zone in so many ways. It's been hard, but so worth it! I have learnt more in the past year about myself and the world than I had in the 26 years previously!
I would like to add that I am the happiest I have ever been, whilst at the same time as being the most unwell I have ever been...make sense? thought not!

So anyway back to the newspaper - I have been unable to work and I'm not allowed any stress (doctor's orders!)...which in todays world you might say how is that possible!
Well, I can confirm that it is possible, but I have had to get very creative - not just thinking outside the box but throwing the box out the window completely! (you should try it, its amazing by the way!).
So after many hours of deliberation I decided to tell my story to the newspapers. I know, please don't judge me! I hate to be the centre of attention (hence why the only way I can say all this is from comfortably behind my computer!), but I just knew that something amazing was going to come from it.

It really did, I was put in touch with some journalists who I told about my story. My story was then published in the papers a few days later. I was told under no circumstances should I read any online comments, as some people are likely to be abusive. So true to my word I didn't read the comments. I later got a phone call telling me to disregard that advice - the general public have completely gone against all that the reporter had said and been so supportive and kind. On reading the comments it was so nice that people were on my side. My story ended up in America, New Zealand, India and a few other countries...crazy stuff! I have also managed to find out loads more information about my disorder. ...amazing! :) So all in all it was a pretty fantastic experience!

Anyway, why have I just told you all that? In all honesty I have no idea! I think it was to give you a brief insight into how I ended up here! On my voyage to find a way to pay the bills whilst not making my condition worse, I have done a lot of soul searching and online searching! I finally arrived at the idea of trying 100 different jobs to raise money for charity...I know I must be crazy! To me it made total sense...I've got to find a stress free job, which lets face it is pretty hard to come by these days! So why not try out 100 different jobs, and in the process raise money for The Meditation Trust. I'm sure there will be some scepticism about my chosen charity, if I'm honest I was originally going to raise money for a different charity to fund research into migraines - but it seems silly wasting money on research when there is something that will significantly improve many conditions regardless of the cause or reason!

My first job of 100 will be starting in a few weeks, the website is www.100jobchallenge.co.uk if you would like to check out my list so far, and find out more about the challenge.

If you would like to see how my journey goes, then follow this blog - I will be writing a sort of 'day in the life of' for each job, I'm doing 100 so I'm sure there will be one or two that will interest you! But I think the beauty of it is that its something a bit different! I hope you'll stick with me on my journey, as I know this is going to evolve into something pretty special. 

Thank you for reading to the end!...can't have been too boring!

Hopefully I will see you all soon...here we gooooo!

Bobbie :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment